The Grand Rapids Farmers Market has a Job Opening for the 2019 season.
A Hub-at-the-Market Manager position.
You can download the job descriptions by clicking the links above.
The Grand Rapids Farmers’ Market is participating in a statewide effort to establish farmers’ markets as “hubs” — sites for aggregation and wholesale sales of vendors’ produce and other products. The first year of operation of the “hub” enterprise was 2018. We started deliveries in early September, and operated with seven vendors participating and three buyers.
For the 2019 season, we need a manager for the enterprise for spring, summer, and fall. This could grow into a year-round enterprise if the manager grows the sales volume of non-seasonal items such as meat, bread, and specialty items like honey.
In 2019 this will be a part-time position supported by a $2,000 grant-funded stipend. Grant funds will also cover the majority of operating costs in 2019. The market puts a 14% markup on products sold. The manager could earn income above the $2,000 if sales expand beyond a $6,000 threshold. This position has growth potential for 2019 and future years depending on the skills and drive of the manager.
Aggregation of vendors’ products will take place on regular farmers’ market days: Wednesdays and Saturdays. Short-term holding of product for delivery the next day may be possible.
- Recruit vendors and verify that they meet qualifications to participate: training in on-farm food safety and annual well water testing
- Recruit buyers and maintain regular communication with buyers
- Ensure that vendor product is posted on Local Orbit and communicated to buyers
- Do aggregation, weighing, and recordkeeping on market days
- Delivery of product to buyers
- Provide records to GRFM treasurer for payment to vendors
- Do monthly billing to buyers
Assets available to the manager:
- 6’ x 12’ cargo trailer equipped with refrigeration, freezer, storage racks
- Pop-up canopy, tables, digital scale, handwashing station for sorting & packing area on market days
- Local Orbit subscription. Local Orbit is an online platform that tracks vendor products and buyer orders, greatly simplifying recordkeeping.
The Grand Rapids Farmers’ Market is a member-owned market with a market manager and active board members who are also vendors. The aggregation manager will be independent and self-directed, but will be able to work as a team with the market manager and board.
- Basic accounting
- Ability to interact with online sales platform (training is available)
- Valid driver’s license
Submit a cover letter describing your experience and interest in the position, and the names and contact information of three references, to:
Contact Jane Jewett with questions about the position, at the above email address or call or text: 218-670-0066
Position remains open until filled. The 2019 market opens on May 8 and that is the preferred start date.